I was induced on Saturday morning at 8:00. Dr. Gootjes decided to induce me because it was her weekend on at the hospital and this insured that she would deliver baby x. I am so happy that she is my doctor, she is so great! At 8:15, Dr. G tried to break my water, but it would not rupture, we waited 2 hours and walked around a bit to see if we could get things going. At 10:00, I started pitocin. Contractions were VERY mild, so much that I wasn't sure if it was one. At 11:15, Dr. G came back to check me and I had dilated to a 6. She broke my water again and this time it ruptured. Contractions started to get more intense over the next couple hours, at 1:00 I decided it was time for an epidural. I slept (relaxed) most of the afternoon with little discomfort. I was checked off and on throughout the day. I went through a ton of nurses too. Jayne was the first nurse and Beth was the nurse in the room at the time of delivery. Both were wonderful and I must say every nurse that I had was perfect for what I needed them for! At 3:40, I was 7 cm and at 4:20 I was 8 cm and minus 1 station. At 5:30, Dr. G came in to check me and realized I was a 10 and his head was engaged, it was time to PUSH! At 6:08, Xavier Rudell Petkus was born at a healthy 9 lbs. and 21 inches.
Immediately following delivery, I was able to attempt nursing X. After taking his vitals, his temperature and blood sugar levels were both low. Xavier was taken to the nursery to warm him up and give him some donor breast milk. It took a while for him to get everything worked out, but in the mean time we got some skin to skin time and lots of warm blankets.
We were also able to skype with Aunt Dawn and Uncle Chad, and Uncle Ryan. They were happy to meet their newest nephew. Nana and Papa were in the waiting room, anticipating the arrival of their first grandbaby!



love seeing all these pics--totally catching up on your blog--you are doing a GREAT job!!
ReplyDelete